Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Solitude

I just read this last night and it perfectly describes how I am feeling right now... frustrated, angsty, and worst of all... lonely. And it struck me how loneliness is such a trap. It is all perspective. How do we see the cup? Well, I see the empty cup a little too much. I want to practice solitude.


"All human beings are alone. No other person will completely feel like we do, think like we do, act like we do. Each of us is unique, and our aloneness is the other side of our uniqueness. The question is whether we let our aloneness become loneliness or whether we allow it to lead us into solitude. Loneliness is painful; solitude is peaceful. Loneliness makes us cling to others in desperation; solitude allows us to respect others in their uniqueness and create community.

Letting our aloneness grow into solitude and not into loneliness is a lifelong struggle. It requires conscious choices about whom to be with, what to study, how to pray, and when to ask for counsel. But wise choices will help us to find the solitude where our hearts can grow in love."

--Henri Nouwen

Sounds like I have homework to do. :-)

3 comments:

Vladimir said...

That is an amazing quote - it is so true that each of us are alone, no one else can see the world through our own eyes. It's a hard struggle to find the peaceful side of being alone. Remember though, you have lots of friends who really love you - you have a community around you. :)

Matt Reichenbach said...

I struggle with that duality all the time, it's terribly difficult to know what to do with loneliness. I used to think that solitude was chosen isolation and loneliness was forced...but maybe that's incorrectly moving the blame away from yourself.

But it seems that the difference then is only a mindset, and how to change that? You have to be satisfied with your position to enjoy solitude, and to be satisfied do you need to be a part of a community? Is the yearning for community the same as clinging on to people, for fear of being alone?

(Read my comment on your prior post before you continue)

Or maybe our society promotes the idea of inevitable love and affection, so we all think we're entitled to it ;)

Sarah said...

OOOh.. entitlement is huge... isn't that such a part of our society? But I do have a lovely community and I am soooo thankful that I have good friends and family. I am also thankful that I can learn how to appreciate the ME time. Not selfishly, but considerately.

Thanks for your comments!