Saturday, October 1, 2011

Fall-orado rocky mountain high

Autumn in Colorado is the perfect antidote to bitterness, writer's block, malaise, and general yuck. 
 Right?  Can't you hear John Denver singing?  No?  Well skip to the next song on the player above... there you go...
 It was a lovely day up in Rocky Mountain National Park.  Fortunately, all the tourists were down in town at the Elk Festival wandering the main drag looking for the perfect caramel corn and waiting to hear an elk's mating call.  Boat missed?  Possibly. 
After a lunch of cheddar sandwiches and honeycrisp apples, we started off for a short wander through the woods on the boundary of RMNP.  Dad had been there before, (obviously... there are few places within 20 miles of Estes Park that my dad hasn't been... trust me) but we got to see the fall foliage at its finest.
Me and my dad
 I knew today was gonna be the day I celebrated fall.  I just knew that after this craptastic week, I needed a remedy.  I needed to drive up to Estes with my pumpkin latte and my iPod blasting and my sunroof fully open.  It worked. 
It worked really well.  Thank you, Colorado.

No comments: