Sunday, September 18, 2011

WWAMD: What would Aunt Marti do?

I've been very productive recently, and maybe this "getting rid of the cable" extravaganza has been the boost to my volition.  I think getting back into school has done that too, nothing like a schedule, grading and lesson plans to get you on track.  But I've been struggling with the little (and not so little) squirrels that get into my day and chew on power lines and make nests in the attic.  Sometimes life is hard, sometimes it is breezy, that is the nature of it.  I don't want my life to be all one thing, and I think I have a pretty good balance going on, but I hate when I get to those "unanswerable" questions.  Everyone's unanswerable questions are different, mine seem to be like quicksand, sucking me slowly downward into a suffocating paralysis (sheeze... that sounded dramatic, but you know what I mean).  My top three big questions: Will I find love?  Will I have a baby?  Will the Broncos start Tim Tebow?  I'm kinda impatient when life gets all nebulous-y and vague.  I get all Veruca Salt up in here and demand answers so that I can continue on with my day.  It would all be so much easier if I knew what was going to happen so that I could stop worrying about it. 
Go that way!


It would be fair to say that in these moments I miss my Aunt Marti a lot.  Marti had this way of taking my mind off the scary bits of my own life, usually by reminding me of some much larger problem that was equally as unanswerable and yet infinitely more solvable, like No Child Left Behind.  Aunt Marti was not one to sit and ruminate on the big questions and she was never one to feel self-pitying.  There was always something else to put her mind to.  I wish I was more like that.  I wish I wasn't so indulgent of these big-assed questions that seem to stop me like a deer in the headlights.  For now, maybe it is enough to just think on Marti and try to think what she would say or do.  It isn't an answer, but it helps. 

No comments: