Sunday, February 20, 2011

Graduation


(me at NHS graduation, May 18th, 1994)

I am going to speak at graduation this year.

Ever since I started teaching at Niwot High, I have wanted to speak at graduation. I think it is because I went to Niwot and my dad taught at Niwot and my birth was announced over the PA system. I've taught there for 7 years (this year will be 8) and it just seems to get better every year. My students are so funny and interesting and weird and odd and real and human and wonderful. I feed off their energy.

I was so honored to get the "official" invitation from the sweet Student Council reps, I couldn't stop smiling. Then I had to email my people and let them know, and I asked them what they would say. So far, I have received some great responses. I have so many ideas about what to say and how to say it. But the idea of coming around full circle, of stepping out onto the field where I graduated, fills me with a sense of honor. I tell you, if I had won the Nobel Prize this week I wouldn't be happier than I am now.

So what would YOU tell the graduating class? I am compiling ideas and weaving them all together. Hopefully, I will have something better than "Life is like a backpack". :-)

3 comments:

Dana Strotheide said...

I loved the "Wear Sunscreen" speech from when I was in high school. :)

Anonymous said...

Well, if you want to be as memorable as the EHS class of 1990 speaker, you need to wear a white tux with black trim and play cheesy "inspiring" songs in the background as you steal the lyrics and weave them into a web of ridiculous schmotz. "Parents, you are the wind between these young men and women's wings...Did you ever know you are their heroes?" You're gonna be awesome, because you are. --Heather

Anonymous said...

Congrats on this honor Sarah! You truly have come full circle :) What a great picture from graduation! hard to believe it has been nearly 18 years...I may have to come just to hear you! Will your Dad and/or Mom be there to see you? Do you know what wisdom you will impart to them yet? I think my thoughts would be somewhat along the lines of success looks different on different people...it may look like the lawyer or doctor or senator or it may look like the high school English teacher or the missionary living in a 3rd world country or the stay at home mom of 3 beautiful babies....but that whatever success looks like for you, you should dream big and try to enjoy everyday of the journey...... :) Hope you are well, my friend! Stephanie Ebert