Sunday, November 7, 2010

The mirror

For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.
1 Corinthians 13:11-13
I have a hard time sitting still and just being. I feel almost as though my constant movement and activity signifies that I am industrious. My industriousness signifies my contribution to the earth which signifies my awesomeness as a human being. But I've noticed that while I am a mean multi-tasker, the quality of my work is less than hoped for, and the constant running of my engine means that I burn out faster, and for long periods of time I am in
the shop, useless and in disrepair.

Intentionality and mindfulness are the key words of the blog today. I am teaching the great Pilgrim at Tinker Creek by Annie Dillard. As we dug into the book the first week, I realized that this book is about everything we don't like talking about. I mean, the book is ostensibly about Dillard's observations of nature, but the book is really about what we see reflected back at us when we look at nature. SCARY! Who likes to look in a mirror, especially one that seems distorted and funhouse-esque.




But here's the thing about the mirror. We need to have some kind of self-awareness in order to fuel the engines. I think I multi-task because I am afraid of what happens when I stop. I don't want to sit and think because I'm afraid of what I will think of. Thinking means that I have to be accountable for stuff. That mirror reflects all the blargy-blarg; the blemishes, the chin(s) the cellulite. But the mirror also reflects God; beauty, kindness, contentment and love....if we are able to see it. Being intentional means stopping to smell the roses. Being mindful means tuning out the noise. Intentionality and mindfulness allow us to really see the reflection of who we are, what is going on with us.

My challenge is that you stop what you are doing to look at what is being reflected back to you. Is it rough? Only for a few minutes. Then you notice that you really like your bangs that way and you really don't look like Jack Black (no matter how many times your students tell you this). But mostly, I hope you are able to really see the amazing creation you are. Let that be your fuel.

1 comment:

karanoel said...

Ah, how I can relate. I feel very hampster-wheelish right now, dashing forward with all my strength as though I'm actually getting somewhere. God keeps reminding me that it is only what he has called me to that leads anywhere. And that - just as you've so wonderfully stated - the only way to connect with that is through slowing down, looking, listening.... taking inventory, being intentional... holding all the bargy-blarg up to his vision and seeing the transformation of the ugly to the beautiful. So good! btw, love the photos!!