Friday, February 20, 2009

Lars and the Real Girl

After watching this movie "Lars and the Real Girl" I am fantastically aware of how hard it is to connect to others. People struggle so much with the feeling that they (we?) are too inadequate to be loved for our authentic selves and yet we want more than anything to feel validated for who we really are.

What I loved about this movie was the idea that this man couldn't deal with the issues in his real life so he manifested a new life with a lifelike doll. I will admit that I have dreamed of falling in love with Matt Damon or being interviewed on Oprah (for my epic novel fyi) and while I don't think I need those things to function, I wonder why they surface. As my friend Eric commented in another posting, wanting big changes may just be a manifestation of something we aren't really dealing with. In the same way, the fantasy life may be a manifestation of something undealt with.

Is it possible that all the addictions and distractions (the fantasy) we maintain in our lives keep us safe, but ultimately out of the danger of being truly happy? I love Kenny Rogers' song "The Gambler" but I think he had it a little wrong. You gotta know when to hold 'em, sure, but I think you also gotta know that you are your own worst enemy sometimes. Sometimes you have to risk it in order to win big. There are no guarantees, sadly. And maybe that isn't so sad. Maybe we should embrace a life of no guarantees and embrace the craziness that life brings us anyway.

You need a little Kenny today?

No comments: