Sunday, June 17, 2012

California here we come...

Actually, if I were to pick my favorite song about California, it would be Joni Mitchell's "California" which kind of transports the listener to a woody canyon in the hills above LA.  But that's not where I was.  I was in the O.C., where freeways take the place of back roads, jasmine and jacaranda trees bloom lazily, and backyard pools are aplenty. 

I went to visit my dear friend Kara, who has a fantastic blog herself, and a lovely home, a fun family and an open door to her Colorado friend.  Kara is my spiritual touchstone.  She is honest, kind, sincere and warm and I had no idea we would become such good friends when we met ten years ago, but I think God knows who fits together, even when they don't know it yet. 
Me and Kara, post pedicure, sandy feet.
 We had a fantastic time and I am so thankful for her.  I needed a retreat in a spiritual oasis to kick off my summer.  And it worked, I feel detoxified of the collection of pent up stuff and nonsense that I put on my emotional backburner during the school year.  That's what good friends do, they amplify the best parts of ourselves and they encourage growth and change.  It was exhausting, but in a good way... the best way.  Now bring on the summer, I say.  I am recharged.
Kara, her husband John and a lovely sunset.

No comments: