Monday, March 16, 2009

I can fix everything that is wrong with education... really.

Okay, I can't fix everything that is wrong with education, but I had an epiphany over the weekend about being a teacher and maybe it can help. Sometimes I feel like a good teacher and sometimes I feel like someone is going to come in and tell me that I am a total fraud. But I have always felt as a teacher that I am purposeful and useful. I know that teaching is my calling (as much as I fought it). When I saw this video on The Rubber Room I became incensed and saddened that teachers are on the front lines of the war on public education. Some teachers need to be replaced, but no teacher deserves to be ignored.

Back to my epiphany... I think we can make it better, we can ALL take part in making education free and fair and challenging for ALL students. Not only do I think we can be a part of this change, I think we MUST be a part of it. Education impacts EVERYONE, not just teachers, students or people who make pencil sharpeners.

Here is my list of ideas (I am a ridiculous idealist... be warned). These ideas seem easy to implement and can build on what is already in place. I would love to hear your thoughts...

Relational teaching--I was a Young Life leader about a million years ago and what I learned from Young Life changed the way I teach. I was in relational ministry in YL. Instead of standing on corners or participating in debates, we as leaders would build relationships with students and share the gospel experientially. This is what makes teaching so valuable for me. I build relationships with my students; I try to come along side them and see where they are specifically. My understanding of where they are allows me to a) assess them more specifially and b) make them feel okay about asking for help.

Communication--I think every time a school board or administration doesn't communicate the whole picture to teachers, parents or kids, it breeds distrust between those entities. I am a grownup, I can handle tough news. There should be open communication between all parties so that people can feel valued. That also involves listening critically and knowing how to be an engaged listener.

Being PROactive instead of REactive--I am shocked at how much of what kills public education is a reaction to something. A big reaction. Like someone's hair is on fire. Once the fire is out, there is no discussion of what started the fire. Why is that? I learned how to teach by backwards planning (plan the assessment, then plan back from that) so why don't we do that for the problems that plague our schools? This might be a loaded question, but I do think schools need to be proactive instead of always reacting to the problems that plague us.

That is the list so far. What do you think will help?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you have hit on some very important points. Another important point is that WE ALL have to value getting an education - that means parents, students, teachers and citizens in general. Along with that idea is that education has to be relevant to what students need and what we know makes sense. For instance, we know that music education helps students learn in other subject, we know that art education also helps, as does physical education. Yet we cut these programs in favor of more academics. It is like saying something slower and louder will aid understanding.
Barbara

Sarah said...

Thank you MOM :-) Here is what my dad had to say about it...

These two principles may improve education.

DEVOLVE POWER to the base of the pyramid. When teachers act responsibly, which is almost always, let them make decisions for their own class settings. When students act responsibly, which is frequent, let them make the decisions for their own learning.

PROVIDE EXTRA CARE to emotionally crippled students. As with wheelchair ramps, this will separate the fully able from the ones who need the most competent teaching.

HEED A CERTAIN OLD PERSON in all matters temporal nd spiritual, especially one who will be 67 years old this year. Just because he stands up slowly does not mean he should sit down and shut up.

Matt Reichenbach said...

What do you mean when you say "let (students) make the decisions for their own learning"? At face value, it seems like you're promoting that students should be free to do whatever they want.